October 14, 2009
(two paragraphs)
"My Kid Could Paint That"
Prompt choice B: Comment on this quote from the film: “Art has obligation to explain itself to you. If it doesn’t, it’s the art’s fault.” Explain the quote. Do you agree or sympathize with this statement? Explain, using examples from the film.
I sympathize with this quote from the documentary. I had to re-read the quote multiple times and think a lot about it before I made my decision whether to agree or sympathize. I chose this decesion because the quote says how if the art doesn't explain itself to you, it's the art's fault. I do not agree with those words because interpreting art is up to the looker. People looking at art must have a sense of creativity and the only reason any piece of art wouldn't explain itself to you, is if you don't think enough about it, and what it could represent. The many people that purchased Marla's artwork came up with various ideas as to what her paintings represented.
Imagination is something that everyone has, but the broadness of it depends on the level that someone wishes to expand their mind. Artistic people tend to have a large imagination and creativity in order to be able to interpret works, without focusing on just one thing. Looking at art is something that many people enjoy doing, whether they are looking to find representation, or if they just look at it for pleasure. The work that Marla created was viewed and interpreted by many different people. I think finding the story or idea in artwork should be up to the viewer.
Danny Boy
16 years ago

Is looking at art enjoyable, by definition? Is it OK if art (modern or otherwise) makes you uncomfortable? Even some realist painters show us scenes about poverty, death, violence, and other uncomfortable topics. I might argue that the experience of those paintings is just as valuable as looking at a painting that soothes you and flexes your imagination. What do you think?
ReplyDelete