Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My Kid Could Paint That .. pt 2

October 14, 2009

"American dream or art world scheme?"
Why do you think the film does not answer this question?


A few different things come to my mind when I think about why the film does not answer that question. I do not think that Marla's creativity is an "art world scheme." I think that the creativity and artistic values of a person are genetic. My family has a great amount of artistic people. Many of my relatives are painters, and I have always had an interest in photography. Whether Marla's parents passed on that gene, or it was an ancestor decades ago, I believe she was blessed with it. When Marla's mom was being interviewed, it was obvious that everything that is currently happening in their lives is unexpected, and never once a plan of action. I also think the documentary doesn't answer this question because this is about a young girl who doesn't realize how far her artwork has gone, she could never set up a scheme. Although Marla's parents have sold her paintings for money, for all we know they could be putting it into a fund for Marla. If Marla were older, she would be able to understand better how important her work has become. Clearly, this is an American dream and not the least bit a scheme.




1 comment:

  1. If artistic talent is genetic, can Art (like Math or Science or English) be taught?

    ReplyDelete