
1. What is the first thing you notice in this photograph?
- The first thing I notice is the stairs, and the back wall, because the stairs are ascending up the wall.
2. Do you think the woman is dead or alive? If she is alive, what kind of emotions does she appear to be experiencing?
- I think the woman is alive. The emotions she is expressing could easily be depression, sadness, and maybe guilt.
3. At what time of day do you think this photograph was taken?
- I think this was taken midday.
4. What are the light sources in this photograph?
- The light sources seem to be natural light, sunlight.
5. How would you describe the environment or room here?
- The room in this photo is "dark" and appears to be a sad mood. It is very messy and things are out of place. The disorganization may show how the woman's life is going at the moment, and her laying on the floor, in water, adds to the "sad" theme.
6. What objects do you see on the steps leading upstairs?
- I see slippers, a robe, and a nightstand as well. Pictures are hanging on the wall.
7. Is the female subject wearing shoes?
- The female is not wearing shoes, her slippers are on the stairs, and it is almost as if she wants to trick people into believing she is dead.
8. The title of this piece is “Ophelia.” Do some quick research… what is the history of the name “Ophelia” in literature?
-Ophelia is a fictional character in the play Hamlet, by William Shakespeare. A possible historical source for Ophelia was Katherine Hamnet, a woman who fell into the Avon River and died in December 1579. Eventually, it was concluded that she had overbalanced while carrying some heavy pails, but rumors went around saying that she was suffering from a broken heart. These rumors were considered plausible enough for the thought of her death being a suicide.

Yikes, this a very traumatic story! It's interesting that you observe that she appears to be alive, but write about her death. Does this photograph document a moment before her death (in your story?)
ReplyDeleteWell, the beginning was before this picture happened, then after he throws her over the stairs, her eyes are open, I think I said "he sees them open," but I mean they are still open from the previous moment, but she IS really dead, although he believes otherwise and he still continues to shoot(maybe he did not know that you can die with your eyes open, he WAS bi polar!)
ReplyDelete